Friday, December 6, 2013

Christmas Time

It’s that wonderful time of the year again. I am a bit of a Christmas freak: our tree has been up and shining since November 1st , for the bemusement of all the upcoming guests. If that weren’t enough, I consider it a special achievement when I manage to wait until after my birthday (October 12th) to start watching Christmas movies. Usually I fail, but what never fails is the very first choice: Love Actually is always number one.



Casually ordered, here is my personal favorites list!

Love Actually (2003). In general, I very much enjoy, as a movie structure, the composition of different stories and different characters, all somehow intertwined. Add the snow and the music and the Christmassy, and you have the perfect movie! Best story? Bros over hoes: Peter, Juliette and Mark. We also have a post on this movie, here, on which I have to say I quite disagree!

The Family Stone (2005). A family, a cottage in the snow, the first-born’s fiancé to accept: one messy situation over the other! There are a lot of strong and contrasting feelings, and they all hit you straight. I can barely watch the scene of the fight over the dinner table because the tension is unbearable! And yet, love and Christmas fix it all.

Christmas with the Kranks (2004). There is nothing good about this movie, really, and yet it is now part of my routine. Cheesy and annoying, and yet heartwarming and romantic. Maybe it’s Tim Allen, maybe it’s the music, maybe it’s Christmas spirit bringing the community together, but, in my heart, when I watch this movie, it’s Christmas eve.

It’s a wonderful life (1946). Frank Capra is one of my favorite directors and this classic is one of the reasons why. It is impossibile not to be touched by George Baily's pure spirit: a man who's good through and through and who really leaves a wonderful life.

The Family man (2000). If you don't like cliches, dont watch this movie. I would say though, if you don't like cliches, don't watch Christmas movies at all. Wouldn't it be great if a family that is envied only for the love they share (rather than money and prestige) existed?



Home alone (1990 and 1992). There have been various imitations of this Christmas classics throughout the years, but nothing beats the originals. Find true friends in unexpected people: this is my personal take-away from little Kevin's adventure... and have less kids is the lesson learned from his mother's misadventures!

Little Lord Fauntleroy (1980). This is another objectively horrible movie that I can't help loving. I already blabbered about it previously here.

Well, there must be a billion more, but I guess that's enough to watch for the next few weeks.

Merry Christmas everyone!




No comments:

Post a Comment